ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 09-20-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Sorry, misunderstood ... of course, if you don't know whodunnit, you're S.O.L. But merely the fact that a human saw you dump a dog doesn't make it okay to dump it, or less than a dump, hereabouts. Have we thrashed this out enough?

And anyway, go Texas!!, 'cause I'm still loving that don't murder the opossum for testing thing. I may have to create a smiley with an opossum waving a Texas flag ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 09-20-2008
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

a side note about after hours dumping...our shelter has kennels where people may place surrendered or found animals when we are closed. they are two sided so the animals can be accessed from the inside of the shelter for proper kenneling, and once the member of the public closes the door on the outside, it's locked to them. there is paperwork available to leave with the animal should the person so choose, but we have plenty of anonymous dumps too. the inside of the kennels have a water dish, so at the very least if someone dumps an animal and nobody notices for a few hours, they have shelter and water. there is also a bell that can be rung to speak with a live person if one is available, or at least to alert the staff that an animal is dropped off. despite this, we do occasionally get sidewalk and parking lot dumps...just push the animal out and hit the gas pedal...one time there was a completely taped shut cardboard box. we all sat there guessing what could be inside. turned out it was full of rats. luckily they were very nice. :P
Old 09-20-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

That is a very nice concept, and a very good thing to do, if you have the space to do it. Our facility was designed and built to service our 4.5 sq mile community of 8,000. Due to that no-kill rumor (no-kill is a stigma that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy) we have had people driving 50 miles to bring their animal to us. If I had unrestricted drop off cages, I would be euthanizing every day just to keep up with the incoming.
Old 09-21-2008
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

People do sincerely suck. No argument from me on that!

What we get, are the lovely folks who tell us to "f-off!" when we ask them for ID when they turn their animal in, drop the leash, and walk out.

To fix this problem, sorta, we make everyone sign in and show ID right when they walk in the door. They cannot even approach the desk without doing this. If they try to turn and leave, we have cameras looking at the door, and out in the parking lot, so we can get a nice clean view of their faces, and of their vehicles when they try to leave. The blue shirt taxi squad will them come, and arrest said person for basically being a schmuck.

Okay, but to answer your question, Chicago ACC does take out of jurisdiction animals, because we are the largest facility in the region, and none of the humane societies here have open admissions. We do not however, take out of town biters for rabies observation, they must go to their own vet for that. If they attempt to abandon the dog on us, they are going to get it not only from us, but also from Cook County AC, which are the ones by state statute in charge of all rabies observations on bites.
Old 09-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

As it happens I have an update. Back in December or January I had submitted an item for the city newsletter about a dog that was bumped and left to freeze to death outside my shelter, but the article was never inserted. The subject is coming up again as we are getting bids on security cameras, so I resubmitted a revised article, but it kind of back fired on me.

Among other things, we are now required to walk the property, around the shelter, the outbuilding and trees, before we enter the building in the morning, and again as we leave at night. We are also going to place a phone (single button that only dials into the police department) so that the people dumping the animals can contact the PD to either let them into the shelter, or at least let somebody know the critter is there.

Of course, these people are going to great trouble to sneak around and hide their dirty deeds, so figure the odds of them actually calling in to the POLICE DEPARTMENT to tell them what they are doing.