ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 09-21-2008
Field Operative

Laelaps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoACOSupervisor View Post
That is a good point, Laelaps, a very good point. However, I am curious to know what type of jurisdiction do you cover?
I'm in Texas. I'm not a field officer, I work in the shelter, so I'm not positive, but I think our total jurisdiction is 480 sq miles. Roughly.

Quote:
I got told this by my FTO, the very first day I started as a greenhorn ACO: " If you learn anything, please learn this. People are f-ing stupid! Keep that in mind!"
Lol... so true, couldn't agree more.

Quote:
The main problem is that we live in a world now, where people do not take responsibility for themselves, their actions, their kids, their pets, etc. So, unfortunately, we now have to step in and intervene.

So, look at the big picture here, officer. Think outside the box of "it's not OUR job", because yes, it is our job. Animal Control is the product of people's irresponsibilities.
Well, here I'm going to have to ask you to re-read my post. I never said it's not our job, i agree 100% that it is our job. The question is- do taxes really cover that type of service or not, and I think not. I disagree that people should get a free ride because they're irresponsible. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, and in this case ignorance of responsibility is not either. Yes, people lie about the circumstances of the pet they are turning in. We have 'owner surrender counselors' who have a series of questions to ask in an attempt to find out the truth. Most of the time, we're full anyways so we cant take it in unless they request euthanasia. The system is not perfect, and like I said earlier, we will assist people who truly need it. Does that mean in the end we'll pick more dogs up? Possibly. Probably. But if you continue to give people a free out from their problems they will continue to have those problems. The cycle has to be broken somewhere.

Last edited by Laelaps; 10-23-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2008
Forum Friend

Big Brown Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laelaps View Post
I disagree that people should get a free ride because they're irresponsible. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, and in this case ignorance of responsibility is not either. Yes, people lie about the circumstances of the pet they are turning in. We have 'owner surrender counselors' who have a series of questions to ask in an attempt to find out the truth. Most of the time, we're full anyways so we cant take it in unless they request euthanasia. The system is not perfect, and like I said earlier, we will assist people who truly need it. Does that mean in the end we'll pick more dogs up? Possibly. Probably. But if you continue to give people a free out from their problems they will continue to have those problems. The cycle has to be broken somewhere.
This is where y'all lose me. You're "full" and won't/can't take the dog....and "probably" will pick up more of the dogs as strays. The people turn the dogs loose on the street (instead of surrendering them at a Shelter). The animals are picked up and disposed of (after being placed at risk for disease, injury, and death).

This breaks the cycle how? This instills petowner responsibility how? This inhibits animal neglect and abuse how?

I simply don't get it.

Boxermamma-

I've got a place on the river down your way and read the local fishwrap online. My heart goes out to you lady for the yahoo contingent you've had to deal with since the storm....before the storm too for that matter. From what I can tell at least the decisionmakers are getting AC on their radar and cooler heads seem to be holding their own.
Old 09-25-2008
Forum Friend

boxermomma is on a distinguished road
Cool

Big brown dog - Thank you - it has been a rough couple of weeks here.

Thanks to everyone for your input. We have finally convinced the "powers that be" that charging is NOT the answer. I appreciate all of your insight!

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain
Old 09-25-2008
Forum Friend

Big Brown Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of fun here too. That Saturday morning the generator at the little EOC we were at quit and when we go out to see what the deal is and we are in the eye of the storm. The most dead calm you will ever see. Out of the pitch black (no power though out the city) comes the jingle jangle of dog tags and two beautiful pure bred German Shepards come up happy to find somebody to talk to (the first of many dogs that are still coming).

At that point an Animal Service Officer impounded the two stray dogs in the eye of hurricane "Ike".

I am not making this up.

The next week was a lot of fun...I'll spare you the details and just mention that I spent two nights sleeping in a dog truck....all things considered it was not so bad.

Especially compared to your go around with the press.

I would not want to swap for that.
Old 09-25-2008
Field Operative

Laelaps is on a distinguished road

If we truly are full we cannot pick up 'strays' that require a stray hold. We can only pick up diseased, injured, or aggressive. We have a regular, on-going count of the runs that are available in a day.

The reason we charge for owner surrenders is because we euthanize most of them immediately. Figure 30,000 or so euths a year at present and then you see why we we have to cover costs. We do not charge someone to surrender a stray, unless they've kept it for more than the legal time and it's legally theirs.

Everyone has their opinion about it, but I think the fees are a good thing for our shelter. Maybe not for everyone's, but definitely for ours. I wish we could charge more, but our community probably couldn't afford more.
Old 09-25-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brown Dog View Post
...I spent two nights sleeping in a dog truck...
Oh, you lucky ... er ... dog, you! I've always wanted to do that. I always have to be home for MY dogs, though, so even when I've had 4-hour turnarounds I've had to spend them on the road there and back.

In my dream job, I get to live "on campus" next to the shelter... But yet again I digress. "Back to you, Bob!"

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 09-26-2008
Forum Friend

boxermomma is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brown Dog View Post
Especially compared to your go around with the press.

I would not want to swap for that.
Nor would anyone I presume. You just grin, keep your mouth shut, and go on as business as usual. I've been doing this WAY too long to let the media affect me. Usually it all blows over in a few days when a better story comes along anyway!

I am extremely proud of our staff here and that ultimately is all that matters!

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain