ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
Worlds Fugliest dogs.

Cheers, Scooterchic
And heres what they look like in the old doggies home:

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 08-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I thought that was a little odd myself. My core group of volunteers have been doing this long enough to be able to accept euthanasia, but more often than not, I end up delaying euthanasias just to keep the volunteers happy.

Before I found this forum, I read a newspaper article about a group of volunteers who actually filed a suit against the “no-kill” shelter they worked for because they killed a dog that was a volunteer favorite.
Old 08-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
I thought that was a little odd myself. My core group of volunteers have been doing this long enough to be able to accept euthanasia
GTO, Hi. I was referring to how the volunteers have a say wihen an animal should be put down, not that they accept it.

I just don't know of any shelter here, that their volunteers have a say if an animal should be put down.

Anyhoo....hope things are going good for you.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 08-19-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO2642 View Post
And heres what they look like in the old doggies home:

Now this reminds me of a tales of the crypt dog... Poor thing. that is beyond you know, fugly... But we all get old and ok we loose our looks unless we are rich like Cher.. She looks great..

Leah
Old 08-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
I just don't know of any shelter here, that their volunteers have a say if an animal should be put down.
It’s all political. If the organization doesn’t care if their volunteers stay or go, then the volunteers will have no say in the operation. If the organization wants to keep the volunteers around for a while, then the organization must be sensitive to their wants and needs. I like having trustworthy volunteers around that can operate the shelter in my absence, so I have to throw them a bone every now and then.
Old 08-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHCZ1 View Post
... But we all get old and ok we loose our looks unless we are rich like Cher.. She looks great..

Leah
Isn't modern science wonderful?

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 08-19-2008

I wish I could afford modern science..lol

Leah
Old 08-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
It?s all political. If the organization doesn?t care if their volunteers stay or go, then the volunteers will have no say in the operation. If the organization wants to keep the volunteers around for a while, then the organization must be sensitive to their wants and needs. I like having trustworthy volunteers around that can operate the shelter in my absence, so I have to throw them a bone every now and then.

So true. One shelter I worked at, the volunteers provided the pet food for the shelter (even though it was the municipalities responsibility). They had more say than I or the ACOs. At this shelter, the manager and I took a stand with the ACOs. The volunteers have been there for so long that they feel that the place is theirs and that they have as much of an opinion as anyone else. The volunteers help with the adoptions and fosters so I guess the town feels that if they don't have to hire someone to do this work, it is not much of a problem if they make some of these decisions. The thing is that the only people who can legally euthanize the animals are a few of the ACOs and I. So it is a mute point. If the township approaches me about the euthanasias, then it will be different and a decision will need to be made but I will not make a decision based on the volunteers decision. I trust that the ACOs have a better opinion of the behavior of the animals since they really know what the animals are like and what is truly feral vs. scared, etc.
Old 08-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHCZ1 View Post
That is beyond you know, fugly... But we all get old and ok we loose our looks unless we are rich like Cher.. She looks great.
I always think of her in the context of "Dorian Grey" -- you know, the Oscar Wilde story about the guy who has a painting of himself that gets old and ugly while he stays young and beautiful. And his personality gets worse and worse -- he drinks and cheats and murders and sleeps around and so forth -- because he (nor anyone else) can't see the results of his actions in his face, what he's doing to himself on a daily basis. Being a celebrity must be like that. You're surrounded by people who tell you you're wonderful all the time, no matter what you do, so that you never see the real results of your actions, just the pretty picture everyone paints for you. And then some day you get ugly, and your own soul comes as a huge shock to you.

( And who put what in my coffee this morning?)

That is one incredibly ugly dog, though.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 08-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post
I always think of her in the context of "Dorian Grey" -- you know, the Oscar Wilde story about the guy who has a painting of himself that gets old and ugly while he stays young and beautiful. And his personality gets worse and worse -- he drinks and cheats and murders and sleeps around and so forth -- because he (nor anyone else) can't see the results of his actions in his face, what he's doing to himself on a daily basis. Being a celebrity must be like that. You're surrounded by people who tell you you're wonderful all the time, no matter what you do, so that you never see the real results of your actions, just the pretty picture everyone paints for you. And then some day you get ugly, and your own soul comes as a huge shock to you.

( And who put what in my coffee this morning?)

That is one incredibly ugly dog, though.
I have to say that is so true.. If you look into most huge celebs eyes, You can see the saddness. Money and fame does not buy you happiness. If anything more problems. They can not do the simple things that bring so many of us pleasure.
I was once asked What I would do if I won the lottery, Well I would probably give most of it away to pet programs, I often wonder If a large amount of money came my way would it effect my home life, My husband, children how would it change us?.
Dont get me wrong I would love to live comfortable, Fix a couple of aging body parts ,lol. But I am happy to be who I am..

Leah