ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-02-2008
Probationary Trainee

AZRiverRotts is on a distinguished road

The problem with mandatory microchipping IMO is that several companies market the chips. How do you get everyone to use the same manufacturer.

I remember reading about this problem a while back when dogs with chips were coming into the shelter (not sure which one) and the scanner wasnt reading them because they were an off brand.

Some desperate theives actually were stealing animals and cutting out the chip to avoid identification! They also clipped of eartips of the animals that had tattoo id's on their ears.

We opted not to microchip our first rottie. When the vet neutered him, she tattooed him inside his thigh. This didnt identify him, it was just proof that he was altered....(as if the lack of danglers wasnt proof already lol!) We then went to the city and got his license for a very minimal fee.

I still think the best law is to license your pet in the city or county where you reside. Our laws require dogs over 4 months to be licensed (not sure about cats). The animal must have proof of rabies vaccination before it can be licensed. The fee is discounted greatly if the animal is altered.
Old 08-02-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

The only failure to read problem I have encountered was a dog with two chips in it. One was a Banfield, and the other was a Crystal tag. My Avid reader would catch the Banfield, but it had never been registered. My Crystal tag scanner caught the other chip, and it was registered. I told the owner to register the Banfield chip also because it was a crap shoot as to which scanner would pick which chip.

My primary scanner is my Avid mini tracker, and it has read Avid, Home Again, 24 Pe****ch, Banfield and Crystal tag. The say that all of the domestic manufacturers are readable by all other domestic manufacturers, but some of the imported chips my not read.
Old 08-05-2008
Forum Friend

Big Brown Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Maddog-

I like the idea of chipping everything that is impounded which is reclaimed and not already chipped. Licensing doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but that's what the powers that be want ("Yes sir, very good sir!") and if I'm going to be compelled to perform the exercise I want enhanced animal identification to be a byproduct.

Yes cats will be required to be licensed and chipped also.
Old 08-06-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

I had my own version of mandatory chipping. "Sir, here's your sixty-dollar running-at-large citation. Howabout you pay for a twenty-dollar microchip and I rip the ticket up?" Worked every time.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 08-08-2008
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

So alot of people like to tattoo there animals. Where would someone find out this information reguarding the animals who are marked this way? Do they register them? How does something like that work?
Old 08-08-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

Personally, hated the tatoos. For one thing, sometimes, depending on breed and location, you can't always see the tattoo. Secondly, no one at the shelter looks for it. Finally, there is no standard location as to where folks put the tatoo. Sometimes it's in the ear. Sometimes inside the leg. Sometimes on the belly. At least with microchipping it's pretty much a given that it will be on top of the dog somewhere.
Old 08-09-2008
Probationary Trainee

Patrick is on a distinguished road

We register dogs and cats. Compliance is at 5% and dropping. I want to just drop licensing and get revenue through a pet food/ supply/ vet sales tax. We have 2 full-time and one seasonal position who handle licensing, so more than half the revenue of licensing goes to pay for licensing.
Old 08-09-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
We have 2 full-time and one seasonal position who handle licensing, so more than half the revenue of licensing goes to pay for licensing.
Must be nice. I have one part timer and myself to do everything that gets done, including licensing. If our licensing ordinance were to go away tomorrow, I would not shed any tears.