ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Job Openings

Old 11-27-2007
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

If you're getting that close to being out on your own.......soon you'll not be the rookie anymore and you'll be free from those comments.
When you work in a tough agency with high turnover, perhaps its not that the long-timers are wanting you to quit, rather it might be that they are waiting to see who's going to stay before they put in the time to develop trust and a cohesive work environment with them.
Try to look at it from their perspective. Every week someone else quits. Pretty soon the attitude becomes one of just waiting for the next one to walk out. Gets kinda disgusting after a while.
Won't be long before you're one of the team!

MB
Old 11-27-2007
Shelter Survivor

UNDRTKR is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to UNDRTKR

Hang in there. Pretty soon you'll have more seniority to back you up I think its like that everywhere, as far as the quitting issue goes. We occassionally have officers who go through our entire training program and then they quit. Very frustrating!
Old 11-28-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

I hear you too ... I'm the fourth supervisor my guys have had in a year and a half, and I keep hearing "oh, yeah, you want me to do it this way, and the guy before you wanted me to do it that way, and the guy before THAT wanted me to do it the other way ..." I just smile broadly and tell them that I'm too fat to go through all the trouble of moving again, so they're stuck with me ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 11-29-2007
Kennel Commander

Opie913
Send a message via AIM to Opie913 Send a message via Yahoo to Opie913

Been a while since I have posted....but here is my 2 cents worth.

In this day, what you are going through is considered a hostile work environment. Many business have paid out $$$ on complaints and lawsuits. Your bosses there need to put an end to this s---. If they don't, go up the chain and report it to THEIR bosses (maybe even mention lawsuit). AND...if there is ANY reprisal for your complaint, it is illegal.

Small practicle jokes are to be expected (hiding a snare). But others (dirty pics on the locker) creates a bad work environment.

Good luck!! Wish there was something I could do for you

They are able who believe they are able.
Old 11-30-2007
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

I guess I gave the wrong impression when I started this post. I was not complaining about the hazing and harassment, I like that stuff. It makes for a fun and lighthearted work environment. You need that release and it kinda bonds the team together. What I am tired of is not being able to keep any officers longer then 2 months. Since I am the rookie they expect me to ditch them now. I'm not, I love my job but this does not stop them from teasing me about quiting. You can't blame them since the last 5 all quit before they were even on their own. We need an officer who WANTS to be in the field. One who will stick around longer then a month and one who can handle a pouch of cat food in their tactical glove if they leave it out while taking PTO.....

Cheers, Hot Tomato

PS, if you want to apply I need to let you know that the county is SSSSLLLLOOOOWWW and posting the job online. Keep looking it will show up.

Old 11-30-2007
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

I came to Chicago ACC about 3 years ago. I was hired on as an ACO Supervisor, which caused a lot of friction with the staff here, because I did not "work my way up" internally, even though I have over 10 years as an ACO and an ACO Sup elsewhere. I took a lot of crap for it...took awhile to get the staff to trust me, and believe in my direction and focus. I guess the previous two supervisors had NO AC experience, and it left a rather bitter taste in the mouths of the ACO's. Which I can understand, as in their own words, "How can I respect the orders of someone who never did my job??"

What finally did it, was that I proved I was capable of the job. I went out with several of them, and proved I can do their job! I had to shove it right back in their faces, respectfully of course, that I can do their jobs, and make decisions based on my experience. I also admitted to them that yeah, I am not perfect, I do make mistakes, but I know how to work them out, so that it doesn't affect what we are trying to do. Three years later, I am very respected by my ACO's, they love coming to work when I am on command. I let them do their jobs, and only get involved when I have to get involved.

Why is the turnover so high in your department??? They cannot keep anyone more then a couple months????? That's crazy...
Old 12-01-2007
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoACOSupervisor View Post

Why is the turnover so high in your department??? They cannot keep anyone more then a couple months????? That's crazy...
Some of it can be..... they leave and go to one of the cities that have their own animal control (through PD) for more money. Some use the job to get their foot in the door with the county and transfer to another job. Some just can't hang. Quite a few think it is just chasing K-9's not realizing we ENFORCE laws and sometimes what we do can really affect someones life. Some don't like the danger involved with the aggressive dogs and the angry people we often deal with. So many people think it is a cake job because we drive around and scare dogs not realizing what really goes into it. It could also be (in the quitter's case, he was a chef, history major and I think worked in a doctors office before starting with us) they are trying to find what they would be happy doing for work and since they like animals they assume it would be a good choice. Poor guy, his was scared of dogs....that is kind of important..... What is the most common reason people quit in your area?

Cheers, Scooterchic

PS it could also be a lack of proper training, I am in the field on my own(for about a month and a half now) without going through the academy, without a bite stick and without pepper spray. I only kinda have a grasp on the way the laws work in the different cities and sometimes stumble through routine calls. I just call my FTO or fellow officers when I have a question and pray that I don't get 2 aggressive dogs at the same timebut this can cause A LOT of people to quit. I have seen that with every job I have EVER worked. Proper training is key to success in any career.

Old 12-01-2007
Shelter Survivor

Bluey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
PS it could also be a lack of proper training, I am in the field on my own(for about a month and a half now) without going through the academy, without a bite stick and without pepper spray. I only kinda have a grasp on the way the laws work in the different cities and sometimes stumble through routine calls. I just call my FTO or fellow officers when I have a question and pray that I don't get 2 aggressive dogs at the same timebut this can cause A LOT of people to quit. I have seen that with every job I have EVER worked. Proper training is key to success in any career.
Wow. I cannot believe they let you go out on your own without any proper training particularly on your legislation and animal handling. If I was you I would look for another organisation to work for. Sounds like yours is not run too well. You are so correct. Proper training is everything. I wont even let a probationary out by themselves at all until they have had a minimum level of training and even then it is under the watchful eye of both my senior field officer and myself

No wonder they go through so many staff.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

www.ahgs.com.au
Old 12-02-2007
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

I understand the problem of finding good people that want to work. My staff is pretty young in the field. We work close together and the officers get eachothers ideas, The problem is that they get burnt out quickly. The on call can be tiresome, but that is all I hear about how terrible it is. When I was in the field full time, we used to alternate on call between two of us. When the second officer was out on vacation I pulled two weeks in a row, one time while I had pnemonia. Now we have 4 officers. I still put in more hours than any of them and I hear how they do not think they can hadle the job.

I know they are not all like me, nor can I make them like me, but come on. The subject of the on call and overtime was brought up in thier interviews. I try to paint the right picture of the job before they decide to take it on. Dont get me wrong they have good hearts but I get tired of hearing the B*#@!ing. Hey Scooterchick we live next door and down the lane from eachother, When you find some good ones send a couple my way..

Leah