ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 11-09-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

winchester78
Default .22 Rifle users- need your input

We finally got approved for a .22 rifle but HELP need to let my boss know what ammo others in the field are using for it? .22 longs or .22 magnums? missed out on getting an injured coyote today because did not have what we needed. thank you
Old 11-09-2007
Shelter Survivor

dbaty is on a distinguished road

The only thing I can advice I can offer you is, the .22 rifle is somewhat under rated. People do not realize that a .22 round can travel up to a mile. Just because it's very small does not mean it's not a deadly firearm. Because it is. As far as killing coyotes, I'd use a bigger caliber.

.22 LR is effective within 150 meters (490 ft). After 150 meters the ballistics of the round are such that the large "drop" will be difficult to compensate. The relatively short effective range, low report, and light recoil has made it a favorite for use as a target practice cartridge. The accuracy of the cartridge is good, but not exceptional; various cartridges are capable of the same or better accuracy. Still, the effectiveness of this cartridge is often underestimated. The trajectory of the .22 LR has a 2.7 inch (69 mm) rise at 50 yards (50 m) and 10.8 inch (274 mm) drop at 150 yards (140 m) when zeroed at 100 yards (100 m).[4] A .22 LR rifle needs to be zeroed at 75 yards (69 m) to avoid over-shooting small animals like squirrels at intermediate distances.[4] The newest commercial rimfire, the .17 Mach 2, is based on the .22 LR case, but is slightly stretched in length (case length is similar to the CCI Stinger) and necked down. The light, aerodynamic .17 caliber (4.5 mm) bullet gives a much higher velocity than the .22 LR, for similar energy and a much flatter trajectory, but at the expense of increased cost and noise.

As a hunting cartridge, the .22 LR is mainly used to kill small vermin such as rats and squirrels. It is also highly effective on rabbits at distances closer than 150 yards (140 m) and on ground hogs, marmots, and foxes closer than 80 yards (70 m). It has been successfully used on large creatures such as coyotes, but range should be limited to no farther than 65 yards (59 m); head and chest shots are mandatory with the most powerful .22 cartridge the hunter can use accurately. The hunter would best find what cartridge out of the various high velocity and hyper velocity shoots well for him by preliminary testing. For greater range or larger game, a more powerful cartridge should be used to ensure a clean kill. Examples include larger rimfire rounds such as the .22 WMR, .17 HMR, or any centerfire cartridge. Like any bullet, the .22 LR is nonetheless dangerous and capable of killing humans and large animals at close range.

---------------------------------------------------

Progress stops at the Cemetary.
Old 11-10-2007
Shelter Survivor

Bluey is on a distinguished road

I would use a larger a calibre. Particularly on a wild dog. You need to dispatch it quickly and cleanly and having been a hunter all my life you would be amazed at how strong even the smallest animal can be if it is scared or injured.

Personally I would use something like a 222 or a 223 or even a 22/250. Maybe even bigger to 308. You can use a 22 but only at short distance and then I would suggest only if you a real good shot and know where to hit the anmal to put it down straight away and humanely.

However the draw back with the larger calibers is that they can carry for a considerable distance if you miss or from a riccochet. Not for town use.

If you are going to use a firearm my advice is get to a range and get plenty of practise and know how it handles. Then get to know the anatomy of the target animal. Know the kill shot.

You want to put it down cleanly with one shot and as quickly as possible and this takes some skill. Be prepared to follow up a wounded animal if you miss the kill shot.

About 15 years ago I was a shooter as part of the TB and Brucelolis squad to eradicate these diseases in the far north of Australia. For months we flew all day in helicopters shooting cattle and horses on infected properties. I have seen my fair share of death as a part of this and I would suggest that if you need to put a wounded or injured animal down you owe it to that animal to to be as good as you can at doing it.

It is not easy and if you miss the shot, which you will sometime, it can be a hard thing to do to follow up and dispatch a wounded animal.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

www.ahgs.com.au
Old 11-10-2007
Forum Friend

reiver

We use 22 Subsonic Long Rifle Hollow Point for most things. We don't typically shoot anything on the run with this. At close range this can put anything down from a raccoon to a cow. We also have some 22 Long Rifle Hi-Power Bird Shot for birds.

Last edited by reiver; 11-10-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2007
Forum Friend

C/W ACO is on a distinguished road

My agency uses .22 long rifle. We do not use this for animals on the move. We only use this to dispatch (euthanize) sick/injuried animals. I have had to euthanize several large deer and the .22 is a very effective weapon. Our agency went with the .22 long rifle based on a recommendation from our local Fish and Wildlife Officers.

Make sure that what ever weapon you use in the field has been tested at a range facility. It's always good to have lots of practice and if possible, certification from a local firearms instructor. You also want to make sure that you are in compliance with all department SOPs.
Old 11-14-2007
Kennel Commander

downsouth is an unknown quantity at this point

We use .22 magnum hollow points. We have never shot at something on the move just too dangerous no matter how good you are at shooting. We will corner the animal and then fire. We have a larger calibre weapon but again no shooting at something running.

Cheers Nick