ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 11-09-2011
Probationary Trainee

PMOACO606 is on a distinguished road
Default Pets left in vehicles

I work on a military base as an Animal Control Officer and I need some opinions on the penality of leaving a pet in a vehicle unattended. The order currently states that no animal can be left unattended in a vehicle for any amount of time for any reason. If caught they only receive a citation. I received a suggestion of possibly suspending their driving privileges for an extended amount of time. My questions are, what does your laws state regarding pets and vehicles, what do you think is a good amount of time for a suspension of driving privileges and what type of penalties would you suggest?
Old 11-09-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

My state doesn't say anything about pets left in vehicles. Therefore it's only an offense when it rises to the level of cruelty (that you can prove). As far as driving privileges, if it's a state-issued drivers' license, you would have to get the state to suspend it; if it's a military-issued license, then you have to convince an even bigger beauracracy...
Old 11-09-2011
Forum Friend

Location: From NYC then was cop in FLA moved to TX and love protecting animals
dogcop51 is on a distinguished road

the Base can say you cant drive on this property to anyone at anytime

Proverb 12:10a
A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals http://www.spcafctx.org
Old 11-09-2011
Probationary Trainee

Thanks for the feedback ACOFred!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcop51 View Post
the Base can say you cant drive on this property to anyone at anytime
You are 100% correct! I am just trying to figure out what other ACO's opinions are and what they think would be a good penalty for allowing your pet to be left in a vehicle unattended.
Old 11-09-2011
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

Depending on the level of cruelty I can document, I could either charge the person civilly or criminally. The Criminal charge would typically either be after multiple civil charges or if I could prove that the person did it to punish or torment the animal.

As far as suspending driving privilages on base, I have a slightly skewed view on that. My slightly skewed view comes from having served in the military and seeing how the rules on an instillation are really enforced.

On a military base you are really talking about disciplinary action more then legal action. So in the context of progressive discipline, I would do something along these lines.

1st violation: Citation
2nd violation: NJP
3rd violation: Suspension of non work related driving privileges (unit CO to decide on what work related driving privileges will be retained, with the needs of the service taking primary consideration)

Semper-Fi

Fyr

Last edited by fyrdawg207; 11-09-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2011
Probationary Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrdawg207 View Post
As far as suspending driving privilages on base, I have a slightly skewed view on that.
I agree with you. When I received that suggestion from a higher-up chain of command, I thought that it was a little too strict as well. I like your suggestions, they seem fair and reasonable. Thank you so much for your input!
Old 11-15-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

Jayscritters is on a distinguished road

NYS says only dogs in a hot car, you could also make a case for cold weather and breeds with short hair. Its a law for people without any common sence as most are. I cant stand when someone calls and I get there and it 70 degrees the windows are down and the car is in the shade. The owner is getting screamed at by some nut for being in the bank for 20 minutes.
Old 11-15-2011
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayscritters View Post
NYS says only dogs in a hot car, you could also make a case for cold weather and breeds with short hair. Its a law for people without any common sence as most are. I cant stand when someone calls and I get there and it 70 degrees the windows are down and the car is in the shade. The owner is getting screamed at by some nut for being in the bank for 20 minutes.
We used these...

http://www.amazon.com/Raytek-MT4-Non.../dp/B0002198GY

..they were handy for documenting temps inside cars for court but they were actually more valuable for the situation you describe. You'd have some humaneiac causing a scene where it s obviously not (obviously to any reasonable person) a cruelty. Just walk up, shoot a temp and show it to the nutjob and ask them if they're going to die at 70 degrees. That's usually all it would take. If they complained you did nothing at least you have some info (the actual temp in the car) to back you up if they complained.
Old 11-16-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

GatorACO is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, they work great.
Old 11-25-2011

PatrickNY is on a distinguished road

Hmm.. Sounds like a military thing of removing the common sence part..
I would guess the MP K-9 is exempt?
That would annoy me... I leave my dog in the car all the time... weather dependent.. On a nice cool night, the car is a really nice dog house.