ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Job Openings

Old 03-31-2007
Probationary Trainee

shortwingn

Wow, I guess my PhD (post hole digger) won't help with that position. It is for the best tho, I was hoping for a position licking toilets and cleaning kennels with my mouth. Looks like I found a home! I cant wait to meet their mongoloid children. Perhaps I can teach them the diffrence between a goat and a sister?
Old 03-31-2007
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

FYI - the average pay for a "janitor" is between 8.57 and 9.63 or about $20,000 per year top end. This position does pay a little better than a straight janitor. After looking at the duties, I am just wondering when the person has time to do any ACO work???
Old 03-31-2007
Kennel Commander

Poopahbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Poopahbit

I was thinking the same thing. Both duties are very labor intensive, as well as time consuming. By the end of the day, I would imagine the person would be physically exhausted.

In regards to not being able to write your own citations...by having someone else write the tickets after you tell them to, wouldn't that pose conflict sometimes? What if the Police Officer does not agree with your decision to write someone a citation?

Elisabeth

~Edmund Burke
Old 04-01-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Just to clarify, my gripe is not with the fact that an ACO might have to clean a bathroom at work (as though we all don't do that already as needed, or at least I hope we all do). I have spent some of my past employed as a parlormaid, and some as a waitress, and I truly and firmly believe that our government would be a better one if you had to have several years working as a janitor before you could be elected to Congress. (And when I pull graveyard, I do whatever needs doing, including cleaning, because people with free time ought to help out wherever they can, dadratzit.)

Nope, my gripe is that somebody in that city decided that "animal control" and "janitorial assistance" are roughly equivalent tasks, and that the person who can do the one can be assumed to be qualified to do the other. After all, an animal control officer, by definition, is efficiently employed doing work that would be a waste of a "real" police officer's time, right? And animals are just ... well, animals. You wouldn't want to waste anyone with any real law enforcement skills on them.

I wouldn't touch that job with a 10-ft pole, and it has nothing to do with the bathrooms, per se. It's because politics and law enforcement are natural habitats for both blowhards (with a cartoon dogcatcher chasing Snoopy between their ears) and mind/power-games champs (who assume that we're too stupid to figure out that the joke's on us). And, of course, those who are both. At this stage in the professional game, we cannot afford to let either opinion go unchallenged. This job description is more of the same typecasting that set us up for the last 40 years of "well-it-helps-the-animals-and-pays-better-than-the-usual-janitor-job" bullsheep. And there are plenty of city and shelter managers out there who would be thrilled to keep bullsheeping away at us for the next 40 years, too, as long as they can keep saving 50% on their personnel costs, and never have to worry about any of that expensive training or self-defense or ...

Harumph! If I were Screwtape, I would have just turned myself into a large and annoyed bullfrog or something. Time to go calm down now. Ommmm. We are not the enemy. Ommmm. We are not the enemy. Ommmm ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 04-10-2007
Forum Friend

ACODAVIS is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ACODAVIS
Default Indiana

Seems all states and munipalites are differant in what they hire and job duties for many jobs. Some places you have more authority and others you dont.

Sometimes in the AC field you can work out of a police dept. and other times you work out of public works. Or just in your own cubby hole.