ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 05-15-2011
Probationary Trainee

Taz is on a distinguished road
Default Patrol Vehicle

Our department is looking at changing out our pick up truck - The one we have is a Ford Ranger and has to bays for hauling two dogs and some equipment.. Woundering what our departments use and is a Pick up the best or has someone come up with something better. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2011
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

Not sure what the amount of animals your department picks up, but might want to switch to one of the trucks with the shell that has more animal compartments. CTEC makes some good animal control truck bodies:

http://ctec-truckbody.com/10.htm
Old 07-25-2011
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

We used Chevy Colorado (or GMC Canyon - same vehicle) 4x4's with utility shells. Have a bay for equipment on the driver's side and dogs would just be loose in the back (shelter is close enough we impound as we get them - don't have to "save them up" before we go in). Have a couple veri-kennels inside the shell for cats and other such critters. Additional equipment, shotgun and tranq gun behind the seats in the extended cab. (BTW - we had a Ranger - IMHO they suck. No one wanted to drive the one we had and it was set up just like the Colorados / Canyons).

Last edited by Caninelaw; 07-25-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

jamesmray is on a distinguished road

Ours are custom made here in corpus Christi. The cages are drop in that fit in a f250.
Old 07-26-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Around here almost everybody uses 8 compartment Deerskins mounted on a 3/4 ton truck chassis. There are a dept of two using vans. Of course, from here its only a 30 minute drive to Deerskin, so that may sway opinions a bit.
Old 07-26-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

jamesmray is on a distinguished road

I have to say that is a pretty nice truck Cainelaw. I am probably going to become the Cruelty Invesigator and I think I might want something like that.
Old 08-08-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

I got my new one coming in 6-8weeks haha I have been hearing that for quite sometime now though. I did meet with the guy and picked out all the boxes which were custom made by a truck body shop in Stockton, CA. It is a 2011 Ford F-250 4X4 with the 6.2L flex fuel engine (can run on E85) regular cab. It will have westin clear lightbar on top with front take downs and alley lights. Two flash in front, two flash on each side (intersection lights) and two flash on rear with a clear led lightbar on back. Lift gate on rear into dead box. Warn 9,000lb winch on front w/mount bar. PA system/siren, all light controls and radio in center console box. Laptop mount. Some italian AC system for cages. Two large cages in front, one large cage on driver side with barn doors. Cargo in back on top of dead box both going through with doors on both sides. Passenger side has two small cages as well as large cage in front. I usually keep equipment in small cages and food, first aid, tranq equip, etc. since we started rolling doubles I cant keep my gear on the passenger seat. I think thats about it, when I get it I will put up some photos, it should look pretty sweet. The boxes have been made, the equipment is ordered, they are just waiting on the trucks to get here, we are getting three done like that and I am a lucky one to get one!! My truck has 180,000 right now and I have been getting promised a new rig since I started 5 years ago
Old 08-10-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's what I drive now. I was driving a basic 1 ton van with cages on patrol but was recently promoted to Sgt. So with that comes different duties and not so much impounding of animals - thus we utilize cruisers at this point for sergeant duties......