ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Job Openings

Old 01-16-2007
Probationary Trainee

crittermagnet
Default A Moment of your itme please - ACO Advice

Greetings and Happy Monday! What a wonderful website. Im so glad i found it, I certainly appreciate any who read this and provides input. Im posting this to more than one area - i hope they are ares, and not the same post over and over. If this is the case i apologize

my name is William - I live on the New Hampshire/Massachusetts Border. I am 36 and am a self employed professional Web designer/developer & printer

I am selling this business, and have always had a sincere desire to work with animals, for thier welfare, for thier wellbeing. I have animals and have worked on a farm out west for many years. I have so much experience and skills with all kinds of animals, especially what they like, and what they need. I am 36. in outsatnding physical condition, i have children. I have looked deeply, in my heart of hearts and know this is what i will do for a rewarding, most satisfying career. I volunteer and have for several years for the Red Cross, I remember serving the people affected by Katrina when i was in Louisiana, i met many ASPCA officers going house to house, I wished i could have helped them. I have put many, many inquiries at local shelters for volunteerism, they are super booked, most do not reply. I see there is a zillion ACO job opportunities country-wide. some have extensive requirements, some do not - I beleive here in Massachusetts you have to sttend a Police academy and be no more than 32years of age.

I have scoured the internet for a couple of tears on and off. it is very difficult to find training to qualify for jobs - i think mainly it is because there are not many training schools for this? mayber also because requirements vary state to state or county to county? I wish to have help in the training area, do you know of a school, or virtual learning? that can qualify the fundamentals of most states. I realize on the job training is most crucial, but im certain they all require animal education first.. Indeed I will travel anywhere to aquire the skills and education to follow this wise choice of the most humane endeavor. I have lived in the Southeast for a short time - and in Oregon for many years - Im certain I will travel should i need to - to find a great job in animal control or related animal field. I Have great compassion for even the smallest of Gods creatures and know without a doubt this is what i am being led to do. - Well, Nuff Said!!! I do belive with this wonderful site - i should receive wonderful feedback. I thank you in advance.

Warm Regards, And for the work you do - Blessings to you.

William Gibson
williamgibson@doglover.com
Old 01-16-2007
Probationary Trainee

MarleneBishop
Default ACO training

Someone may have already sent in this reply but the you could check into the NewEngland Humane/Animal Control academy. They have a course once a year at UNH in Durham
Old 01-17-2007
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

I thiink if I had known I was going to fall in love with this business I would have first decided where I wanted to settle down and live and then serve that community's animals. Job requirements differ everywhere. Here you need only a GED and a clean background and driving record. We do the rest. Some states have a required certification process but most do not. So that's my best advice. Decide where and go from there.

Best of luck,
Ellie
Old 01-17-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

ctaco

In mass you do not need to go to the training although it does help they ffer it once a year and there is no age restriction. It is a 80 hour class once a week for ten weeks. I took it in 2005 when I worked in Mass. You can also take the naca training.

Please check out the
ACOAM-Animal Control Officers Association of MASS website: here is the link------

www.acoam.com/

Good Luck in your pursuit of this wonderful career
Old 01-19-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie
I thiink if I had known I was going to fall in love with this business I would have first decided where I wanted to settle down and live and then serve that community's animals.
THIS IS GREAT ADVICE. Really. I am going to take it right now and I already AM an ACO ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 01-21-2007
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

Thanks, I'd take my own advise if the housing market wasn't so crazy. My home is paid for in full but I doubt worth anywhere near what houses are selling for these days. I just turned 50 and really don't want to start all over with mortgages and such. Besides the animal problems are the same everywhere and Las Cruces isn't so bad. We've been rated as the best place to retire and recently recognized as the city with the lowest crime rate for a city our size. So, I guess I'll stay here.