ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-18-2010
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road
Default Dog Roping

Do any of you use roping as a regular method to catch elusive dogs?

I know around here, the L.A. County Animal Control has MANY experienced ACOs and kennel attendants that are very skilled at roping dogs. In fact, when there is a problem with packs of dogs running at large, the Department will send out a small squad of officers who just go out and rope dogs in a particular area.

They say that a good way to practice roping is when, after the shelter is closed to the public, lock all the gates and release a dog in the shelter and try to rope it.
Old 12-18-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I personally have never had any success roping anything, but, some of the Ft. Worth ACOs are quite skilled at it. The only problem with a rope is that animals have a flight or fight response, and while it does stop the flight of the dog, there is no way to prevent the dog from chewing on your face if it goes into fight mode. Thatís what pole were invented for.
Old 12-22-2010
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

Do they use lariat ropes or...?
Old 12-22-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

As far as I can remember. A couple of them used to keep their rope on their rearview mirror on the driverís side, and they were lariats, and I remember it because they rubbed the paint clean off to the bare metal in a U shaped pattern under the mirror.
Old 12-27-2010
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

A few officers in our city use ropes. Rather then the control stick or rope poles. They claim they are more effective that way. Both the lariat style or they use the lead ropes. I have seen them in action and they have the pros/cons about them.

Aggressive dogs I wouldn't use them for. Mainly for what are you going to do to keep them from bitting you or them running around in a circle and wrapping you up.
Old 05-02-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

We use snappy snares that we make here in the office

One fiberglass poll, some yellow nylon braided rope and about an hour and you got yourself a couple snares.

They work really well and its probably the most used tool on my vehicle next to my Baton (LOL)
Old 05-03-2011
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfacop View Post
We use snappy snares that we make here in the office

One fiberglass poll, some yellow nylon braided rope and about an hour and you got yourself a couple snares.

They work really well and its probably the most used tool on my vehicle next to my Baton (LOL)
I always used the commercially made steel braid snappy snare. Best piece of equipment in the truck. Never had a dog try to get me after it was "snared".
Old 05-03-2011

Njaco is on a distinguished road

Never used a rope (actually had never heard of it outside the sterotypical 'net') but I did lasso a dog with a leash that I did use as a lariat. But the dog was shy and was wary - would only come a few feet of me to sniff and such but not close. Quick movement with the leash and I secured him.
Old 05-03-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njaco View Post
Never used a rope (actually had never heard of it outside the sterotypical 'net') but I did lasso a dog with a leash that I did use as a lariat. But the dog was shy and was wary - would only come a few feet of me to sniff and such but not close. Quick movement with the leash and I secured him.
Exactly. That's how I capture a lot of them as well. Slip-lead, pretend that I'm not looking and lasso them from the side. (I have very good peripheral vision so I can see the dog without turning my head; most times the dog does not realize that I was watching until the lead is over the head and then it is too late for the dog to run from me.)