ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 10-11-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

all_4_animal_rights
Send a message via Yahoo to all_4_animal_rights
Default aco level three

i would first like o say thank you for taking the time to responde
i would like to know what the differnces are between levels 1-3 acosand what each of them do
also if you are sensitive to animal abuse and you do cry (sometimes)when you see abuse would that lower your chances of gettin a job as an aco
Old 10-11-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell
Default Re: aco level three

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_4_animal_rights
i would like to know what the differnces are between levels 1-3 acos and what each of them do
Again, agencies differ. We don't rank ACOs that way. We have ACOs, senior ACOs (these are self-appointed ), and "the brass" (lt. and captain). I assume that in most agencies the difference between 1s and 3s would be in experience in that agency, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_4_animal_rights
also if you are sensitive to animal abuse and you do cry (sometimes)when you see abuse would that lower your chances of gettin a job as an aco
Depends. Can you put your feelings on hold to get the job done? There are a lot of times in this job when you will feel very strong emotions -- grief, horror, anger, elation (okay, not so much of that last one, but sometimes!). A lot of times, these strong emotions have to be under very tight control, so that you can think clearly enough to, for example, conduct a professional interview of the perpetrator of some horrific abuse, or carefully collect really disgusting and vile evidence, or quickly and competently euthanize a struggling and desperately frightened injured wild animal. Or, in the case of the elation, suborn your "yahoo!" at finally catching the hawk with the injured leg so you don't scare it to death, and you can truly see if it can be healed, not just think it can because you want it to turn out all right ...

There is no doubt that doing this job requires a certain "healthy schizophrenia"; you have to be able to separate the gut reactions of the "human you" from the professional obligations and duties of the "ACO you." Note that it's a "healthy" thing. You have to be able to choose a safe time and an appropriate setting in which to bring the human and the ACO sections of you back together, so that you can take the time to really feel the grief or what-have-you. Because if you can't do that, this job will rot you from the inside out. Many ACOs don't survive their first five years at work; they burn out and they're gone. Which sucks, because we need all the good, experienced help we can get ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 10-12-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

The smarter ACO's save their display of emotions for the courtroom. We are definately affected but must maintain control so that we can get the job done professionally.
Old 10-12-2006
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: aco level three

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell
elation (okay, not so much of that last one, but sometimes!).
I work in the kennel, primarily in Adoptions. I feel elated when I make the right match. I have also been brought to tears when someone approaches me at Petsmart and says "Hi remember me?" And then they go on to tell me how that scared dog they adopted has blossomed into a wonderful companion -- just like I told them he would!

I keep several happy stories close to my heart and break them out when I start to feel overwhelmed and ineffective. And I've taken up walking. Not a slow saunter, but a brisk, powerwalk. The physical activity helps to clear my head, the endorphins better my mood and (best of all) my uniform fits better.