ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > Welcome Wagon

Old 04-08-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Nicole, my Cali gal, used to laugh at me because she would ask something like “How far is it to the SPCA in Dallas?” and I would say “About 45 minutes” instead of 30 miles.

It’s funny about the street signs though. Maybe not so much anymore, but when I was younger people visiting here from up north always had a preconceived notion that everybody in Texas rode horses, had cattle, an oil well and dove expensive cars. Most people here think NJ is just one giant city with no grass and the people can’t finish a sentence without some form of profanity involved. Nicole took a trip up there one summer, and she came back and told me about all of the revolutionary historic places and homes, I was honestly surprised. Now when you tell me about the down home country directions and no street signs, NJ doesn’t sound all that different at all.

How long it takes to get anywhere around here is totally dependent on what time of day it is. It was 7 miles from my house to my old shelter, and in off peak I could do it in 15 min, but during rush hour it took me 30 – 35 for the same trip. Airport freeway between my on ramp and the mall in Hurst is about 5 miles. It’s less than 5 minutes during the day, and about 10 – 15 during rush hour. In the opposite direction, for some reason, between 3:30 and 7 pm it’s a good half hour drive.
Old 04-08-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

As far as traffic time, same here. It varies depending on time of day, season (whether you are traveling to the beach in Southern Jersey in the Summer on a Friday afternoon/returning home on Sunday from the beach, etc.), vs. rush hour going to NYC area (since a lot of people live in NJ but work in NY), etc.
Old 04-11-2011

Njaco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
My mother was from a little farming community in east Texas, and often they don’t even have street signs because everybody knows every street in town. And it is one of those cliché deals when you ask directions because they will tell you to go to where Joe’s barn used to be, turn right and go to where Sam’s tree was struck by lightning…..

Dr N., I found it humorous when you said “I'm from North/central about 15-20 minutes from NYC” because I had been told by my California coworker that Texans were the only people in the US that used time instead of mileage when relating distance.
I can safely say, as my Pre-wife will attest to, that we in NJ also use time for distance. She will ask where something is and I will usually say "20 minutes away" or (the one she can't stand)... "Its just around the corner!"
Old 04-11-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

A dispatcher at a former department had an pen pal from London come out for a visit. In London houses are either adjoined or have a small alleyway between them, and they sit about 10’ back from the road. He said it looked like we all live on private parks. Anyway, he had to mail something, and she told him the post office was just around the corner. Well, in London, just around the corner is literally that, less than a 5 minute walk. When it took them 5 minutes by car he kept apologizing to her for putting her to so much bother.

He is a detective and he does not have an assigned car. The congestion is so bad there that they walk from the PD to the crime scene, and if it is too far to walk, they take motorcycles.
Old 04-13-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

Beast Master is on a distinguished road
Cool Thanks DRNEGRIN6

Still learning.

Thanks.

Being a Public Servant is not easy, but we are the ones the public turns to when they need heros and or someone to complain about.
The Officer must always use discretion and do the best that he/she can and if necessary educate the public one way or the other.
This job is not for everyone, and not everyone can do what you can.