ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

View Poll Results: How do you feel about eating meat?
I'm a Vegan or Vegetarian (No meat at all). 2 5.71%
I'm a Pescetarian (The only meat I'll ever eat is seafood). 3 8.57%
I don't like the idea of eating animals but I do it anyway. 1 2.86%
I'm pretty much a carnivore and I'm okay with that. 29 82.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2006
Kennel Commander

Poopahbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Poopahbit

I totally agree. Here in IL, the horse slaughterhouse burnt down a few years ago. But since then, the Cavel Company has rebuilt. I remember seeing people on TV and reading newspaper articles when they were rebuilding where neighbors who lived in close proximity to the slaughterhouse made it clear that they didn't want Cavel to rebuild. They wanted them to stop slaughtering horses and leave the area. They also stated something that will stick in my mind forever when I think of horse slaughter. The neighbors stated that they could hear horses crying out as they were being slaughtered and that it began to smell of death. (kind of like the old stockyards here in Chicago)

Horse slaughter is senseless and downright stupid. Can you imagine all of the horses that lost their lives while brave people faught in wars, can you imagine how many horses helped us fight fires before there were cars, can you imagine how we plowed fields for crops before there was John Deere? Horses are no longer used like they used to be and now that we have no use for them, we just kill them and send them off to for European people to eat. Sick...

Elisabeth

~Edmund Burke
Old 09-20-2006
Forum Friend

Breal76 is an unknown quantity at this point

I eat meat. I would never stop eating it. I eat it because I like it, wait I LOVE IT. I like BBQ ribs, bacon, steak, hamburgers, and chicken. It's all just too delicious. Oh and ham..I love ham with brown sugar. Especially on Thanksgiving! But I still eat it year round.

This is all really making me hungry.
Old 09-20-2006
Certified Posting ACO

Socrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopahbit
Horses are no longer used like they used to be and now that we have no use for them, we just kill them and send them off to for European people to eat. Sick...
Exactly! You've hit the nail on the head here. That's exactly what I meant when I said it's not just a humane treatment issue, it's also a protection of American heritage issue. The horse made possible nearly every significant event that's defined "Americana." From Paul Revere's ride, Washington's inauguration, the Battle of Gettysburg and Wild Bill's Wild West Show, to the adventures of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders and the First World War... It was the horse that carried America through the Great Depression and it was the horse that carried the coffin of John F. Kennedy after his unfortunate assassination. Still today, whenever the nation loses its highest honored sons and daughters, it is the horse that is called upon to serve once again as the caisson carrier. For more than 70 years Hollywood has delivered to our hearts and homes an image of the horse as a trusted laborer, a wild companion, and a faithful friend. Sit for a moment and ponder of all your favorite movies, shows, and stories, and I'll bet you at least a handful of them either featured or were touched by the horse in some positive way. However, this image of the horse is under attack, and if the United States of America continues condoning horse slaughter and horse consumption by humans, it seems probable that the and social memory of the horse will change. I don't know about anyone else here, but I don't want my babies growing up without the historical and social memory of the horse I've described here. I'd hate to think they'll one day be watching their favorite cartoon when a commercial pops up that says "Horse: It's what's for dinner." Simply put, eliminating the slaughter of America's horses now would serve only to PRESERVE our way of life, while advocating horse slaughter and horse consumption would do only the opposite. I don't know about the rest of you out there, but the way things are these days, I'll support any legislation that would preserve our heritage in the face of so many forces that would tear it down; especially legislation that would also put an end to inhumane treatment of animals (again, if anyone out there actualy believes horse slaughter is humane, do the research, watch the videos, and then make up your own mind).

Thanks so much for an awesome post!

By the way.. ever wonder why we have names for certain types of meat and not others? cattle/bovine=beef. pigs/swine=pork. horse/equine=???? dog/canine=???? cat/feline=????

If we have to make up a new word in order to make something sound more acceptable on the menu, maybe we oughta rethink whether or not we should be putting that thing on the menu. Just something to think about.

If anyone wants to learn more about the legislation we're discussing, see this link: https://community.hsus.org/campaign/..._horses_senate

Old 09-20-2006
Certified Posting ACO

Socrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breal76
Especially on Thanksgiving! But I still eat it year round.
lol.. ham on thanksgiving? what about turkey? I've heard of the Christmas ham before, and in the deep south I've had turducken, but in my home it was always turkey on Thanksgiving and turkey on Christmas Day. Don't miss it though. And certainly don't miss the extra pounds.
Old 09-20-2006
Forum Friend

Breal76 is an unknown quantity at this point

[/quote]
lol.. ham on thanksgiving? what about turkey? quote]

Um..Yeah. Turkey is the one thing I just don't care for. So I get to eat it lot's on Thanksgiving because everyone else wants the bird.
Old 09-21-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breal76
Especially on Thanksgiving! But I still eat it year round.
lol.. ham on thanksgiving? what about turkey? I've heard of the Christmas ham before, and in the deep south I've had turducken, but in my home it was always turkey on Thanksgiving and turkey on Christmas Day. Don't miss it though. And certainly don't miss the extra pounds.
I've always had:
Turkey on Thanksgiving
Ham on New Years Day
Rabbit for Easter
Venison on Christmas

I just haven't been able to bring myself to eat Groudhog on February 2 nd yet !!

Meat .......... its whats for dinner!!

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 09-21-2006
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO2642

I've always had:
Turkey on Thanksgiving
Ham on New Years Day
Rabbit for Easter
Venison on Christmas

I just haven't been able to bring myself to eat Groudhog on February 2 nd yet !!

Meat .......... its whats for dinner!!
Turkey for Thanksgiving,
Turkey or Ham for Christmas, depends on the company and the mood,
Ham for Easter,
Leftovers for New Years Day, Depends on what the hangover can handle,
And a nice big roast for Groundhog Day, pretend it's Groundhog.

Have never had and never will have horse meat. Have had Bison, Deer, Bear, Snake, Ostrich, Moose, Wild Grouse and Pheasant. Save for the Bear, would eat them all again. Love meat and could never give it up. I believe that man has been eating meat since time began and our bodies are designed to be carnivores. We are not designed to be vegetarians but to each their own.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,