ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > Welcome Wagon

Old 03-27-2011

Njaco is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from New Jersey

Don't remember if I've posted here but here goes. Known about this place for awhile and checked every so often but decided to dip my toe in the water. I work in Southern New Jersey, been an ACO since 1977 and love the job. Hope to relax here!
Old 03-27-2011
Almighty ACO

kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill

Welcome Jersey!!!

LOCK UP YOUR BEAGLE ---VICK'S AN EAGLE!!!

"In GOD we trust, all others we run through NCIC"
Old 03-27-2011
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

Welcome from Taxachusetts

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 03-30-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

Beast Master is on a distinguished road

What part of South Jersey are you from?

Being a Public Servant is not easy, but we are the ones the public turns to when they need heros and or someone to complain about.
The Officer must always use discretion and do the best that he/she can and if necessary educate the public one way or the other.
This job is not for everyone, and not everyone can do what you can.
Old 03-30-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

NJACO and Beast Master,

Nice to know that there are others from New Jersey watching the site. If you need medical advice, contact me. I'm both a vet. and an ACO/ACI. The ACO/ACI is relatively new for me since I just completed my rookie year. I use this site for information; great bunch of people here.
Old 03-30-2011
Giga-posting ACO

NJACO,

I see you are a member of NJCACOA. So am I. Come to some of the events they hold. It is a great place to learn about statutes, etc. and to meet the Board members. They are a great bunch of people and you can make them aware of some of the local problems in your community. I've run some problems I have past them; they have been quite supportive for the "rookies" that need advice.
Old 03-30-2011

Njaco is on a distinguished road

Thats good to know Doc, since I'm a former Southern Region Director and Vice President for the Association. And we have met several times. You were just telling me about holding animals at your clinic last week at the conference.

Its Chris! How ya doing?!

Beast Master - I work Gloucester County. Seeing from your post on Millville, I'm guessing you're from Cumberland?
Old 03-30-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Hi Chris,

I was not sure if you would identify yourself on the site or not so I was going to continue referring to you by your user name. The dog I told you about just went into foster today!! My partner found a place for her. I'm so glad that she is going to have a home and not have to live at my hospital anymore.

I just started helping out a community that is having problems with a hoarder (including animal hoarding). One of them was brought out injured and I'm treating him at my hospital. Poor cat appears to have urine burns on the pads of his feet. We don't know how many more are left in that house. If you have been following the posts, you see that I try to help those that I can and basically pray for those that I can't.

As I said, if you need help on any cases, let me know. Since joining the ACO world, I now have a few attorneys that have been using me to help with their court cases. My medical as well as law enforcement knowledge is helping many with their cases. I'm helpilng innocent people clear their names from false charges and helping ACOs make their cases, if they have one. There have been cases where on the surface, it appears that the case is cruelty when in reality, the case was medical.

That is what happened with my first ACO case; PD really thought that I was crazy regarding not filing charges against the owner. I was lucky that my health officer really does know something about medical conditions (she is also a registered nurse) and I was able to convince her that the dog had a medical condition (based on the records provided to me by the current owner). The owner was quite pleased that I was able to convince others that she had not committed animal cruelty; those 24 hours that the owner had to wait until I was allowed to release the dog was agonizing for her.

A lot of people really don't understand how a false charge against someone really devastates the image of ACOs. Any ACO can make a mistake and charge someone on the information that they see on the surface, but if the person charged is truly innocent, they should not be forced to jump through hoops to clear their name. Please be careful out there, ACOs. Think how you would feel if you were on the other side of the "fence" having to defend yourself on a false charge. (And I don't mean that you have a badge to use to defend yourself; see yourself as the person who you charged and then find out that they did not do what you think they did.) The few that file such false charges really make the rest of us look bad; we need to eliminate the "bad" apples from the Association.
Old 04-02-2011
Field Operative

carrie_cat

Hey Welcome! Sheesh, about a half-dozen of you all are New Jersey and my state (Maryland) can barely muster a half an ACO (um, that would be me -- I am not an ACO, but I try to pay attention to ACO-related issues here)! We DO have some good ACOs!! I think they just aren't computer-oriented (yet).
Old 04-04-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

LiHammy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from NJ and Now in DC. A lot of this is how organized the ACOís are in your area. NJCACOA really got us talking with each other and learn about sites like this. The training and support I received when I did my training is second to none and is what I am trying to copy down here.
And thatís the great thing about this site. We may be in different areas and have slightly different laws, but we encounter a lot of the same problems.