ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 03-13-2011
Field Operative

hasbeenaco is on a distinguished road

Yes alytch, I do love my job.....but it may have to do with the fact that I'm not working as an ACO now. However, when I was, I think I loved what I did; but not necessarily the job itself.

Being an ACO can be a lot of grief, frustration and just plain crappy work conditions. The pay is seldom worth it. Throw cruelty work into the mix and along with doubling all of the above you can be sure you will see, hear and even smell things that will be with you forever. These things I honestly do not miss.

With all those negatives, you must be wondering why anyone does this job. The answer is easy. Every now and then you get to be part of something incredible. If you stick around long enough you are bound to witness a true blue miracle or two. One of those days can carry you through hundreds of bad days....and it will. The best part is that even when a bad day comes to an end, you can almost always look back and know somewhere along the line you made a difference for an animal. This I miss...a lot.

I think for me, the hardest part of being an ACO was having to walk away from some really horrible situations, because that was all the law would allow me to do. That and stupid people (who ironically tend to be front and centre in horrible situations). I just don't have a high 'stupid thershold'.
Old 03-13-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenaco View Post
Y
Being an ACO can be a lot of grief, frustration and just plain crappy work conditions. The pay is seldom worth it. Throw cruelty work into the mix and along with doubling all of the above you can be sure you will see, hear and even smell things that will be with you forever. These things I honestly do not miss.

With all those negatives, you must be wondering why anyone does this job. The answer is easy. Every now and then you get to be part of something incredible. If you stick around long enough you are bound to witness a true blue miracle or two. One of those days can carry you through hundreds of bad days....and it will. The best part is that even when a bad day comes to an end, you can almost always look back and know somewhere along the line you made a difference for an animal. This I miss...a lot.

I think for me, the hardest part of being an ACO was having to walk away from some really horrible situations, because that was all the law would allow me to do. That and stupid people (who ironically tend to be front and centre in horrible situations). I just don't have a high 'stupid thershold'.
HasbeenACO,

You hit the sentiment of what being an ACO is all about. I was at a BOH meeting recently with an ACO that is wondering with all of the problems that I had with that municipality, why would I want to come back to help them? The problem I had was with the ACO, not the municipality. As horrible as working with that ACO and the people that covered up for him was, I enjoyed helping the animals that I could. I tried to do right by the animals and hated the cases that I had to walk away from. What you describe is what a "good shelter vet." also faces. We cannot help all the animals and our hands are often tied with municipal policies, financial needs of the municipality, and corruption/politics. Those that are good at their jobs are discredited because it makes the incompetent or lazy (or both) look bad.

If you don't mind, I would like to quote some of what you said in the next meeting since I would like to answer the question of that ACO and I feel that you hit the nail on the head with the description of what people who work in a shelter in law enforcement/animal care face on a daily basis. Those few cases that we help stays with us for a long time; so do the ones that we have to leave behind unable to help.
Old 03-14-2011
Field Operative

hasbeenaco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
If you don't mind, I would like to quote some of what you said in the next meeting since I would like to answer the question of that ACO and I feel that you hit the nail on the head with the description of what people who work in a shelter in law enforcement/animal care face on a daily basis. Those few cases that we help stays with us for a long time; so do the ones that we have to leave behind unable to help.
No Problem Doc. If anything I said can help someone 'get it', by all means, quote away!
Old 03-14-2011
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenaco View Post
No Problem Doc. If anything I said can help someone 'get it', by all means, quote away!
Wow. Wow. Wow. I'm going to use this at our next all staff meeting too. Great stuff!

Jeff
Old 03-14-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Hi HasbeenACO,

Also wanted to mention that this is one of the reasons I come onto this website. I like to learn as much as possible about animals in any sense. Law enforcement is relatively new to me. I just finished my "rookie" year and it has been quite motivating to see that there are ACOs who really do care about animals and not just a paycheck. I think it is great to learn from those that are more experienced that I or "have been" ACOs and can advise those just starting in the field. Keep up the motivating statements.

I will definitely use parts of your statements at the next meeting, and boy is it going to be a meeting full of issues.
Old 03-14-2011
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
Hi HasbeenACO,

Also wanted to mention that this is one of the reasons I come onto this website. I like to learn as much as possible about animals in any sense. Law enforcement is relatively new to me. I just finished my "rookie" year and it has been quite motivating to see that there are ACOs who really do care about animals and not just a paycheck. I think it is great to learn from those that are more experienced that I or "have been" ACOs and can advise those just starting in the field. Keep up the motivating statements.

I will definitely use parts of your statements at the next meeting, and boy is it going to be a meeting full of issues.
Take a minute and read these if you haven't...
http://www.acofunstop.com/training/stress.php