ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 01-21-2011
Certified Posting ACO

caffiend42 is on a distinguished road
Default Rescue on Thursday

I got a call just after 7pm on Thursday night, literally about 500m from my place. The next door neighbour heard a dog yelping on Wed night, but ignored her. Heard her again in the morning, but didn't think much of it Owners weren't home. When he finally saw her just before 7pm, he discovered she had put her HEAD through the bell housing of a car's gearbox! It weighs about 4 or 5 kg.

My first thought was to get a grinder and grind it off, but I knew it would take a long time and would probably freak her out, so she'd need sedation. Called the vet, and found out the only on call vet was about 30km away, but at least she was already at the practice. She's a heavily pregnant lab x (the dog, that is )

Then I called the firies, and they were there in about 10 minutes. We put a muzzle on her just in case, and she stood there like a trooper for about 20 minutes while they used the jaws of life to get it off her. This is the dirty great hydraulic set of scissors they use to cut people out of cars. The muzzle was too big, but it was just as well as it also covered her eyes. There were two fire trucks, 8 blokes, various neighbours out to look, bright lights and heaps of noise, and she was amazing.

She seemed pretty good health wise, but we got authorisation for vet treatment as it seemed highly likely she had that thing around her neck for nearly 24 hours, and was likely to be very dehydrated, and who knows what that effect might have to her pups. Half an hour later by the time we got to the vets, she was still panting and she had slightly grey gums, but still pretty good. Vet recommended a drip, pain relief and antibiotics due to possible restricted blood flow, and thought she would probably be due in about a week or so.

Nearly $600 for that!

Now if she had been registered and microchipped, we could have got hold of the owners sooner As luck would have it, when i went to the place yesterday to issue the notice of seizure on welfare grounds, the owner's partner just arrived. Turns out they are renovating the place, not living there but keeping her there, and the other dog that we also took with us becuase he was stressing so much I thought there may be a danger of him trying to break out. They have been going once a day to feed the dogs, around 7pm, but just so happened not to have gone on Thursday night

I got her and her partner's details, and turns out she is the sister-in-law of the bloke I took to court last year for the aggravated assault. And I checked their previous history, and they had a dog in 2006 that attacked two people, and they kept blaming the victims and refused to do anything about their fencing at the time, despite the dog being impounded. Council took them to court, and they were found guilty of the offences. This was in the days of our previous by-laws, which were pretty ordinary - an attack fine at the time was $130, but the court awarded another much higher fine.

I was really hoping they would be reasonable people, because at least this time the two dogs' temperaments were great. But they're just cocks, and I bet they're going to arc up big time about paying the vet bill. No matter, the Director wants to handle that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image0025.jpg (73.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Image0026.jpg (79.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Image0020.jpg (95.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-21-2011
Forum Friend

Breal76 is an unknown quantity at this point

What a bunch of f'n liars! Going by everyday to check on the dog? BS. Of course the day they choose not to go by that just happened to be the day the dog get's it's head stuck around whatever that was. That poor dog! That looked really serious and awfully painfull.

Can you go after suspension of ownership for animals? Not sure how your laws work. We have a law here that we can do this. Not just the ones we take but for future purposes.
Old 01-22-2011
Certified Posting ACO

caffiend42 is on a distinguished road

We have a by-law that allows us to cancel the registration of an animal, but I believe it's not used as often as it could be. As you're not permitted to own an unregistered animal, when given a "show cause" letter they have 24 hours to remove the animal from the municipality, or we have grounds for seizure.

This case wouldn't be considered serious enough to do this, we really have only cancelled registration in cases where a dog has seriously attacked someone and they refuse to surrender. I dislike the "request" to remove an animal from the municipality, as it transfers the problem dog elsewhere instead of not permitting it to be a problem at all, anywhere. But that's not my decision to make.
Old 01-24-2011
Forum Friend

AMB is an unknown quantity at this point

Good job on your part and you're lucky you got so much help from other departments

Sorry ass owners should have their head put through that thing and leave it on for a couple of days.