ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 01-14-2011
Forum Friend

Location: From NYC then was cop in FLA moved to TX and love protecting animals
dogcop51 is on a distinguished road

im also 6ft 255 shaved head and goat tee even in the Police Academy i was told i look aggressive so most people get out of my way
Old 01-15-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

My mom had some emotional problems, and she was quite the emo, so she was always having a fit or crying about something. My wife is known by the kids as “Miss negativity”, here motto for life is that inside every silver lining there is a dark cloud. Lord help me if she has something bugging her, because that is all I’ll hear about for weeks at a time.

Living with that all my life, I now have Teflon coated titanium skin, so it takes a lot to push my buttons.

Last edited by Getting too old; 01-17-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

GTO,

All my life, I was taught that because I was a woman (and Hispanic), I was not supposed to express my feelings; keep it bottled up. Don't talk about it. The women are supposed to be the strong ones, who stay home and raise the family. We were supposed to get an education and stay home to educate the kids.

Boy, were my parents in for a shock when I grew up. I have always been a tom boy. Never liked the skirts/dresses my mother bought me. I preferred pants/jeans and playing ball with the boys.

As I was growing up, I noticed that the more stressed out I became and tried to bottle it up, the more likely it was that I was having seizures. (At the time, the doctors misdiagnosed me as having a form of autism. They told my parents that I would outgrow it.) As I got older, I noticed certain patterns and learned to avoid what seemed to stress me out. I also noticed that when I talked about it, I did not have a seizure. It was the bottling it up that triggered it. As such, I now confront those that are causing me stress. If they don't want my help, I leave. Who would want to be with someone who constantly is stressing you out? This is why I have become much more vocal in the last few years. Why should I have to bottle up my feelings while everyone else jumps down my throat? When did I sign a piece of paper saying that when I became a professional, I lost my rights as a human being to express myself or to defend myself for that matter.

I can take a lot since I have learned to put up with a lot over the years. My biggest stress (and I do it to myself), is that I think about how a situation played out and whether I could have handled it better. To me, the actual act of dealing with life and death as a vet. or an ACO, is not stressful since I knew what I was getting into when I took on both of these professions.

I know I have it in me to defend myself, whether verbally or physically if assaulted. I have had to fight a few times in my life and have survived. I had someone try to rob me at an ATM; I was lucky enough to have realized what was occurring and jumped into my car, using my car as a barracade between the man and myself. The guy missed me and grabbed the car instead; he was unable to hold on. It was not until the next day when I read the paper that I found out that the man was armed... He robbed the bank across the street a few minutes after he attempted to rob me. The only reason I knew it was the same man was because of the description of the clothes the man was wearing. The crazy thing is that I called my bank and told them what happened; they never bothered to call the police. Had they, the police would have known that the person who attempted to rob me was the same person who robbed the bank. I never saw the man's face but saw his clothes.

So with everything that I have gone through in my life up to this time (I'm 40 yrs old), it takes a lot to "push my buttons". But....once pushed, get out of my way. Two men tried it and now they are going to face charges for what they did. I gave them ample opportunities to stay away but they won't. Now, let's see what the courts have to say.
Old 01-15-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

I'm from Cali so I just let it roll off my back. Too laid back to let it bother me. I don't take it personal. It helps that as a young cook I had several red faced Chefs that could frighten a Marine drill Sgt screaming at me everyday. I had one take a sauce that I worked on all night and toss the pot across the kitchen. Made me clean it up then yelled at me for leaving the line. A pissed off cat lady or angry bite dog owner has got nothing on Chef Micheal.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 01-15-2011
Forum Friend

Breal76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
GTO,

All my life, I was taught that because I was a woman (and Hispanic), I was not supposed to express my feelings; keep it bottled up. Don't talk about it. The women are supposed to be the strong ones, who stay home and raise the family. We were supposed to get an education and stay home to educate the kids.

Boy, were my parents in for a shock when I grew up. I have always been a tom boy. Never liked the skirts/dresses my mother bought me. I preferred pants/jeans and playing ball with the boys.

As I was growing up, I noticed that the more stressed out I became and tried to bottle it up, the more likely it was that I was having seizures. (At the time, the doctors misdiagnosed me as having a form of autism. They told my parents that I would outgrow it.) As I got older, I noticed certain patterns and learned to avoid what seemed to stress me out. I also noticed that when I talked about it, I did not have a seizure. It was the bottling it up that triggered it. As such, I now confront those that are causing me stress. If they don't want my help, I leave. Who would want to be with someone who constantly is stressing you out? This is why I have become much more vocal in the last few years. Why should I have to bottle up my feelings while everyone else jumps down my throat? When did I sign a piece of paper saying that when I became a professional, I lost my rights as a human being to express myself or to defend myself for that matter.

I can take a lot since I have learned to put up with a lot over the years. My biggest stress (and I do it to myself), is that I think about how a situation played out and whether I could have handled it better. To me, the actual act of dealing with life and death as a vet. or an ACO, is not stressful since I knew what I was getting into when I took on both of these professions.

I know I have it in me to defend myself, whether verbally or physically if assaulted. I have had to fight a few times in my life and have survived. I had someone try to rob me at an ATM; I was lucky enough to have realized what was occurring and jumped into my car, using my car as a barracade between the man and myself. The guy missed me and grabbed the car instead; he was unable to hold on. It was not until the next day when I read the paper that I found out that the man was armed... He robbed the bank across the street a few minutes after he attempted to rob me. The only reason I knew it was the same man was because of the description of the clothes the man was wearing. The crazy thing is that I called my bank and told them what happened; they never bothered to call the police. Had they, the police would have known that the person who attempted to rob me was the same person who robbed the bank. I never saw the man's face but saw his clothes.

So with everything that I have gone through in my life up to this time (I'm 40 yrs old), it takes a lot to "push my buttons". But....once pushed, get out of my way. Two men tried it and now they are going to face charges for what they did. I gave them ample opportunities to stay away but they won't. Now, let's see what the courts have to say.
Are you my dopple ganger? Except for the ATM robbery ( I was robbed at the bank) I feel like every word you said came out of my mouth! I am almost 35. Now the only time I show my emotions is with coworkers and that has cause a negative impact on my life. But when people decide you are the scapegoat you find yourself running into your truck as fast as you can in the morning and getting out into the field first and the last to come in. That way people leave me alone.
For some reason I get blamed for the stupidest crap! I am on light duty right now and they have me running switchboard which is the emergency line in the front office. It filters emergency "dog barks too much" to "a dog just got ran over" into dispatch. I got up last week to go to lunch because I was getting sick from my meds. Two days later I am in a room with the HR manager being accused of not communicating that I was going to lunch and that I had purposely turned the phone down. In order to turn any phone down at the shelter you have to wait for the to actually ring and turn it down while it's ringing. Common sense would say "wow if she doesn't feel good and needs to eat do I really think she is going to wait for the phone to ring and turn it down?" "and what would that actual point of this action be?"

So I expect a write up next week Wow...That was a vent.
Old 01-17-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Venting is one thing, but obsessing is another. My wife doesn’t let go of things, it can be politics, or it can be personal, but about 30 minutes of any issue is about all I can stand.

Case in point, by the time our son was 18, he had spent 5 years of his life and $8K out of his pocket specifically for the purpose of playing guitar in our church band. Everything was going fine until we changed out worship leaders, and the new guy only wants to work with his personal friends and family. Instead of growing a pair and telling the existing band people he didn’t need them anymore, he just pushed them into the background hoping they would quit on their own.

The previous worship leader had warned my son this would happen, but he had too much invested at that point to just walk away, so he stuck it out for 6 months. When he confronted the worship leader he was told “this isn’t about being fair, if you want to play more you will need to do it somewhere else, but if you leave the band you won’t be welcome back”.

Well of course mama bear got all bent out of shape over that, but did she talk to the worship leader? Noooo. Did she talk to the pastor? Noooooo. She vented it all on me. 2-3 hours per night, every night, for 3 months (more on my days off) she vented. After 3 months, it cut back to 2 or 3 times a week for close to a year. That was 2 ˝ years ago, and she still thinks it is polite dinner conversation. I have wished 100 times that I would have said no when my son asked for his first guitar, or that he would have heeded the warning and just walked away before it got out of hand.