View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
I just think it's kinda messed up, though, whenever someone quotes a single line and ignores the entire passage involved and its actual implications.
Go gently, brother, be gentle. Your post makes excellent points both theologically and logically, and you obviously have thought a lot about this issue. Love is, however, the chief virtue, not knowledge ... and love of animals includes the human part.

Myself, I am a fish-i-tarian, although I have continuing desire to become vegan ... I feel that net food is, as the Dalai Lama says, one more variety of creature that avoids pain and seeks happiness. But I'm not there yet, and it took me until I was 40 to become even fish-i-tarian (this after being unable to eat turkey on Thanksgiving when I was eight, because it bothered me on some infant level -- talk about taking your time to act your beliefs). Sometimes we do what we know is wrong. Sometimes we believe wrong things. Just another thing Christ (thank God) forgives us for. If we have the will -- meaning the heart, the actual, real desire -- to do better, I think (being a C.S. Lewis fan) that Christ is always willing to forgive our lack of ability to carry our heart's desire where we would like it to go.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)