View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

I've worked for 4 different agencies, 3 different counties in 2 different states. All but one were under the police department or sheriff's office. The other was under the dept. of public safety.

ALL of them had dress code standards and all but 1 do not allow beards, tats, long hair, etc. All dress codes and standards applied the same across the board for ALL officers of Admin, Patrol, AC, etc. The 1 that did allow beards actually didn't per the policy but the damn union would fight a discipline every time so it made it impossible to enforce...

In my opinion - that is as it should be. If you're on the street working in a law enforcement capacity an individual should dress and represent the department with professionalism. "We" in this industry have a hard enough time as it is getting respect from the other agencies let along respect and compliance from the general public.

Social media is a Pandora's Box and I don't blame agencies for tightening the screws...

Note: I have no problem with tats or beards. As long as the tats are not disrespectful and the beard is neatly trimmed. Long hair, wallets with chains hanging out and or dip cans bulging out of a pocket scream all sorts of NOPE in my opinion when it comes to work place professionalism and proper dress codes.

I've seen it dozens of times. Animal Control Agencies dreaming, complaining, wishing they wouldn't be treated as the red headed step child of the city agencies all the while they look like soup sandwiches in their uniforms, men with untrimmed facial hair, woman with hair color outside the range of "normal", all driving vehicles that look like they just came from a weekend mudding party, etc...

In my 15 years on the job - having worked with a lot of great people and agencies - the one thing that holds true in many places is that they all train to the lowest denominator. This topic is no different and the outcome is the same. Unless you look and act the part - you're not. Perception is reality.

With that being said - if you work in the kennel and not "in the public eye" - I see no reason why certain aspects of dress code and personal standards can not be different within reason...

Last edited by halfacop; 10-11-2017 at 02:20 PM.