View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014
Provisional Posting ACO

chgodon is on a distinguished road

The one agency I worked for also had a graveyard officer with 25 officers. They serviced 19 cities and all unincorporated areas. Only 1 officer from 9pm-7am. The officer responded to bites, injured wildlife and police calls. Over the years, these calls also have included deads. When its slow, the grave yard officer will do admin stuff, like rabies certs etc..

Another agency I worked for had 13 officers and did not have a graveyard person. They serviced unincorporated areas that were up to 2 hours away. Officers rotated oncall shifts for emergency calls only. I would do maybe 1-2 nites per week, unless I volunteered for more nites.

My current agency only services 2 cities the with a population of about 30,000 each. They do not have the quantity of calls to justify an officer patrolling the field after 5pm. This is why due to vacations, I'm working 8am - 5pm and then oncall from 5pm - 8am. This is done on officer 1 two days off and officer 2 days off. Third officer is on vacation. Again, if we lose the third officer, this may be a permanent shift for two officers. This would be my shift:
Mon 4pm-12mid & oncall 12mid-8am
Tue 4pm-12mid & oncall 12mid-8am
Wed 4pm-12mid & oncall 12mid-8am
Thur off
Fri off
Sat 8am-5pm & oncall 5pm-8am
Sun 8am-5pm & oncall 5pm-8am

If nobody is on vacation or we keep 3 officers, my Sat and Sun shifts are:

Sat 12mid-8am
Sun 4pm-12mid & oncall 12mid-8am

I realize oncall shifts are a requirement for some agencies, but this possible permanent shift is ridiculous. The reason for my original post is because the manager is hinting in only using two officers, when the third officer leaves for her career goal.

Last edited by chgodon; 07-28-2014 at 01:09 PM.