View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014
Provisional Posting ACO

chgodon is on a distinguished road
Default ON-CALL TIME IS MY TIME?

I'm working 40 hrs of a regular shift. I'm on-call 4 nights a week. No problem there. We have 3 officers for 24 hr coverage. This week, one officer went on vacation. That left me filling in for the second officer's 2 days off and he filling in for my 2 days off. That meant 2 officers worked a regular shift from 8am - 5pm and on-call from 5pm-8am. Each officer had to be back for the next days regular shift at 8am. I look at it as I'm working 48 hrs in 2 days. My on-call hours went from 32 hrs to 64 hrs. That means I'm obligated to 104 working hrs per week. I have no problem for emergencies, vacation or sick days.

Our manager just advised me that if the third officer leaves the field, she is looking into keeping this vacation schedule as a permanent weekly schedule?? I don't think I could physically or mentally put in that many hours. I feel on-call time is not MY time even though I'm at home. I do not get a good nights sleep because I'm listening for the phone or afraid I'm going to miss a call. I can not go anywhere I want because I'm obligated to respond if called. Management has this idea that on-call time is not work time but MY time. They do not see it as I'm putting in 64 hours of working hours.

I don't agree with that or the amount of standby hrs that maybe required. I've worked double shifts with other agencies and they were not as exhausting as bouncing back and forth in between calls. Any thoughts on this scenario or on-call is not YOUR time.