ACOFunStop.Com Forums

ACOFunStop.Com Forums (http://www.acofunstop.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask the ACO (http://www.acofunstop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   3rd shift (http://www.acofunstop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7938)

SUMCHIC79 10-31-2008 08:24 AM

3rd shift

How many of you ACO's out there work third shift??? I'd like to know what type of experience's you've had. I've been working third shift a little over two years now and I love it. It's just kind of frustrating when some fellow officers think that it's so easy. You have to be a tough cookie to work this shift alone, no 2nd snares, no dispatch, just you the dogs a snare and sometimes the police.:sigh:

Sunny 10-31-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUMCHIC79 (Post 38741)
third shift??? .

I am assuming you are talking about work during the night. If so, Yes I have worked that shift. I think every ACO here, works that shift. However in the ACO depart in the shelter that I work for..do have dispatchers during the night, we all all the same eqiupment that we would have no matter what shift...And well the police, yes that is sometimes.

Sunny

4myella 10-31-2008 12:15 PM

We only have 2 shifts and we rotate the on calls. We are dispatched like PD so we have radio and laptops. PD does have to stand by until we get on scene though, not that they always do, but mostly.

Getting too old 10-31-2008 12:39 PM

I know Dallas runs a midnight shift, and I have talked with a couple of their people. One told me about drug dealers walking right up to the truck attempting to make a sale. Another was telling me about getting people out of bed at 2 AM to write them for their dog being out. Most of the other cities donít want us out chasing dogs after dark for fear a homeowner will mistake us for a prowler and take a shot at us.

Scooterchic 10-31-2008 01:03 PM

Hey SumChic, I would not work your shift, you are much tougher then I. How you doing Chica? Eastside treating you OK?

Cheers, Scooterchic::scooter::

stmelangell 10-31-2008 04:21 PM

I loved graveyard for exactly that reason -- nothing but me and the county to keep each other busy til dawn. Too fun. Hated the sleep schedule, although now I seem to be unable to get off it, even though I'm not working that shift !@#$ !

We did have county dispatch to rely on, thank goodness, but as for help -- I remember once calling dispatch and saying I was going out on a canoe rescue of a gull in fishing line hanging from the top of a piling, and if I didn't call back in 45 minutes, they should send someone out and make sure I was okay. They were all worried, and I thought they'd probably send out PD just to "observe" anyway (you know, laugh and point from shore). Luckily it all went well, because an hour later I remembered to call them back. They got busy ... so I would have been floating out the Gate to Mexico by the time they remembered me, probably. :wink:

Firestar 10-31-2008 09:38 PM

We have 1 shift..8am to 5pm. After that it is the on call person.
We have no back up to speak of after hours. PD or SO will sometimes assist us, but not often. My co-workers are pretty forgiving when you call in the middle of the night and need help.
We try to only go out on bites, aggressive or injured animals.
But sometimes you get the pi$$ed of person on the phone who doesn't care that the dog isn't being aggresive..they want it off there lawn NOW.
Then by the time we get there it's "oh it was my neighbors dog, they just moved in...sorry":-x

tomahto 11-01-2008 01:45 AM

I have worked it before, and I loved it and hated it. my body couldn't handle the sleep schedule but I loved the peace and quiet. I work second/swing shift now, 1500-2330 hrs. I love it.

tomahto 11-01-2008 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stmelangell (Post 38758)
I loved graveyard for exactly that reason -- nothing but me and the county to keep each other busy til dawn. Too fun. Hated the sleep schedule, although now I seem to be unable to get off it, even though I'm not working that shift !@#$ !

We did have county dispatch to rely on, thank goodness, but as for help -- I remember once calling dispatch and saying I was going out on a canoe rescue of a gull in fishing line hanging from the top of a piling, and if I didn't call back in 45 minutes, they should send someone out and make sure I was okay. They were all worried, and I thought they'd probably send out PD just to "observe" anyway (you know, laugh and point from shore). Luckily it all went well, because an hour later I remembered to call them back. They got busy ... so I would have been floating out the Gate to Mexico by the time they remembered me, probably. :wink:

that's funny, I had a similar rescue of a sick owl on a piling in the middle of a lagoon. I flagged down some people passing by in a motor boat and had them take me to the owl. surprisingly the owl was treated and rereleased. I was happy.

C/W ACO 11-01-2008 02:59 AM

My agency only has two officers. My partner works 07001500 M-F, and I work 1400-2200 M-W and 0800-1600 on Sa-Su. The evening shift is a bit of a challenge when looking for the stray dog, but I like challenges. The rest of the time the animal calls are left to the police officers. If necessary they will have 911 dispatch call us out to handle a call.