ACOFunStop.Com Forums

ACOFunStop.Com Forums (http://www.acofunstop.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask the ACO (http://www.acofunstop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Protective Equipment (http://www.acofunstop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18367)

ronferruzza 06-01-2009 09:45 AM

Protective Equipment

Hi all
I am new tho the forum and animal control areana about a year now. I would like to know whoi carries what for protection, IE:
Taser?
Stun Baton?
Baton?
OC Spray?
BP Vest?
Knive?

Any other comments.

THanks for your commentes.

Getting too old 06-01-2009 11:56 AM

I have a IIIA vest, OC, two or three folding knives and a boot knife. Considering a Taser, but they havenít even developed a policy to allow our cops to carry the ones we already have, so I donít see that happening any time soon.

louann1584 06-01-2009 03:25 PM

We don't have anything but our catchpoles to protect us.

Scooterchic 06-02-2009 01:34 AM

ASP baton and OC as required by County but on my own I have bought a vest and learned some MMA style fighting. No tazer and we are not allowed to use the ASP on people.

Cheers, Scooterchic::scooter::

Dale4 06-03-2009 03:48 PM

My catch poll, and the phone number of the police.

shawnee2630 06-03-2009 08:29 PM

protective equipment

We carry dept issued vest, OC spray, Expandable Baton (we are trained to use on people as well), M26 Taser (training was fun LOL), two handcuffs, fixed blade K-Bar knife.......most used...catch pole which becomes a 5ft baton if needed.

AC626 06-06-2009 12:12 PM

As a volunteer, I have my department radio, catch pole, and a large mag light that in the worst case scenario can be used as a self defense impact weapon.

The ACO I ride with carries a taser, OC spray, radio, and catch pole. He has a vest issued to him but doesn't wear it.

Scooterchic 06-07-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC626 (Post 55597)
He has a vest issued to him but doesn't wear it.

Not smart. WEAR THE VEST! Tell your partner you never know what can happen. Someone could be having the worst day of his life, wife left, car was stolen, lost his job 4 months ago within two years of retirement. He can't pay the bills and credit cards are maxed out. You partner comes along and impounds his one and only friend left in this world, the only reason he is still sane, his dog Fido. He snaps and pulls out a 9mm. Cause really, what does he have to lose? Your partner may not make it home ever again.

Sorry but I am all about officer safety. The most important thing, the number one rule, come home safe at the end of the night.

AC626 06-07-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooterchic (Post 55638)
Not smart. WEAR THE VEST! Tell your partner you never know what can happen. Someone could be having the worst day of his life, wife left, car was stolen, lost his job 4 months ago within two years of retirement. He can't pay the bills and credit cards are maxed out. You partner comes along and impounds his one and only friend left in this world, the only reason he is still sane, his dog Fido. He snaps and pulls out a 9mm. Cause really, what does he have to lose? Your partner may not make it home ever again.

Sorry but I am all about officer safety. The most important thing, the number one rule, come home safe at the end of the night.

Thats what I always tell him, I am all about officer, or in my case, volunteer safety, but the ACO only wears it when he is required to by the PD, the only time they require him to wear it is on a search warrant detail.

Heck if I had a vest issued to me I would wear it under my uniform EVERY time I am out in the field.

Getting too old 06-07-2009 05:37 PM

Its sort of like a Pit Bull bite, If a Pit bites somebody its front page news, but if a Jack Russell bites somebody nobody ever hears about it. When a cop gets shot or stabbed, its front page news, but if an ACO gets shot or stabbed nobody ever hears about it.

I have been told that Ft. Worth ACOs have guns/knives pulled on them, or get shot at, on a semi-regular basis, but it is never on the news, and the only way I hear about it is in schools when I talk to one of their people. A private ASP instructor told me that he had instructed a whole department on using ASPs because their people were getting assaulted on a weekly basis.

Just because it hasnít happened to him, or you donít see/read about it happening, doesnít mean it wonít happen at any time.